FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luxury Sale - regional airport surcharges
Old May 7, 2017, 4:56 am
so3003

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Agree entirely with the OP.

Just as with the introduction of "First Wing", which is only useful for those starting their journey from London, this is further confirmation of the London-centric view taken by BA. I appreciate a knock-on effect of FW is the theoretically reduced footfall in North / South fasttrack security but the experience there remains dismal with large queues, rude security staff, and for international to UK connections the continued absence of a fast track passport lane.

The introduction of Club Europe on domestic sectors hasn't done anything to the pre-existing service level - if anything it has reduced the experience whether in Eurotraveller or Club Europe on these segments - and it's effectively penalised those of us who live outside of the M25 bubble. My experience of UK-CE, on a morning flight, was that I had an almost identical breakfast to what was previously provided on the route, while the cabin crew ran about like headless chickens attempting to serve CE 'meals' and sell as much M&S food in ET as possible within a very short time window. On domestic ET segments it feels totally chaotic and it's apparent the crew are not comfortable with the various iterations of items for sale and payment processing etc.

While I don't expect to have a 'free' flight from Scotland to London for a long haul connection, I also don't expect to be excluded from promotional fares or to be forced into a £500+ domestic return flight in order to take advantage of an apparent discount. The cost of a CE trip has effectively doubled since they introduced domestic CE, since it's not possible to ticket domestic Eurotraveller and European CE online - and if doing it via the service centre there's then an added charge as well as the added hassle of needing to call the Gold line (or equivalent) to book it.

I hope this is just another ruse similar to seat selection on HBO, where they take something away only to return it as an "enhancement" several months later....