FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation
Old May 4, 2017, 2:33 pm
synergistic

• Date 27 Apr 2017
  • AAdvantage Status Gold
  • Fare class discounted economy, sorry, exact class unknown
  • What happened original DAB-CLT leg downgraded, volunteered for $500 and was upped to $700 by departure. AA agreed to put me in first from MCO-ORD (including cab to MCO) and I'd catch my original ORD-SLC flight. The process took too long, though, so I ended up being put on MCO-DFW-SLC, arriving three hours later than planned. Agent was unable/unwilling to put me in FC, but agreed to put me on the upgrade list without using my certs. I noticed on my way to MCO that it was still requesting certs to put me on the upgrade list. I sighed and called in, agent was unable to add me to the first but added me to the second, and told me to ask at the ticketing counter about the first. No luck there either, but I was grateful for the Elite line because it saved me at least an hour in line. No luck getting a free pass to the Admirals club (worth a try!) but I bought one and was pleased, both in the new MCO club and whatever DFW club I ended up in. I was indeed upgraded on the second leg, but later discovered they'd used my certs after all. Skipped the phone call and went straight to emailing AA today.
  • Compensation Received my certs back and a gentle admonition to make sure that agents I'm speaking to don't think I'm asking to apply my certs in the future. Irked me a bit because I started every convo with an agent with, "...but the app is still trying to get me to apply my certs which I *definitely* don't want to do..." End of the day, though, got my certs back and that's fair.
  • Comments Any idea what I can expect here? TBH, the voucher did a pretty darn good job of compensating me for the delay - but I still want my certs back. No way I'd have used them on anything but an internationally configured plane. I really feel that I deserve my certs back (or $80 or an equivalent number of miles) even though I did get the upgrade. Am I being unreasonable? What is fair to expect?

Last edited by synergistic; May 17, 2017 at 8:25 am Reason: updating