FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DSLR inflight use
View Single Post
Old May 4, 2017, 8:07 am
Mystiqz

As some of the previous posters have mentioned, getting a faster lens will help, but I would get either a 16-35, 50 prime, or 24-70. Another thing you could do is bump up the ISO setting on your camera. I think your camera should be able to handle ISO1600 without too much "graininess" in your image. Even if there is a little, you can "take it out" in post processing.

As for me, for photos of family and food in the airplane, I'll just use the 16-35 so I don't have to switch lenses. I will use flash sometimes if needed. Now a days, I'll have a family member turn on the cell phone flashlight to illuminate the food and take photos that way. Regardless, nobody has ever complained.

Enjoy your travel!

Originally Posted by Explorer789
So I'm considering to get my first DSLR (Nikon D7200 and 18-200mm Nikkor lens) soon to use for my upcoming trip this summer. Of course, common sense dictates no flash and avoid taking pics of other people, but one thing I was wondering about is the shutter noise. What's the etiquette to using a DSLR during the flight to take pics of food and window shots? Do you switch to your cellphone for meal service? Or does no one care and do whatever you want?

Just trying to get an idea of what many of you do.