FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Mira Hong Kong, Design Hotel [Master Thread]
Old May 4, 2017, 6:37 am
helvetic

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Stayed here, provided some thoughts on it as compared to the Mira Moon, and a full review of the Mira Moon.

Originally Posted by helvetic
The Mira is much larger which is both good and bad. On the good side, it has a very extensive breakfast offering, and more amenities. It's also easier to get a suite upgrade there—which I got unprompted as an SPG Plat despite it not being a guaranteed benefit. My suite was large and well appointed. But the view was nonexistant. The pool is indoors, which is a big downside for me (I value "hang-out" pools more than "exercise" pools; and by comparison the W has one of the best hotel pools in the world being on the rooftop of a 74-story tower and having a view of the ICC next door and of the skyline across the harbor; as well as an attached bar and even full-on pool parties on select summer weekend nights.) That said, at that price it's a no-brainer vs. the W; which is 25% nicer, but 100% more expensive.

The Mira Moon is about the same price; but has a very different feel. For me I see myself as equally likely to stay at either again. The main differentiators is whether you prefer a busy major hotel and all the amenities it provides, or a boutique feel with much more personal and attentive service. Also, whether you prefer to be in TST or Wan Chai—neither is preferable to the other; it just depends on what you're in HK for. Either way, getting across is easy with both hotels being walkable from the Star Ferry.

Both provide a super-fast portable wifi device.
Can answer any questions. Overall:

- Was impressed to be upgraded to a suite unprompted despite it being a design hotel. My room rate was a promo that included a one-level upgrade; but I received an upgrade from cheapest room to a full suite.
- Was given 2pm late checkout as a courtesy, and breakfast was included in my room rate.
- The price is incredibly good value for what you get.
- I was impressed by the breakfast; which I did not expect to be of that quality based on what I had read and what I paid. The comped breakfast would've cost close to 500HKD for two people.
- Right under the TST Wooloomooloo! Rooftop bars for life!
- Hotel was quite crowded and busy.
- I hate the elevators! Wow, they were frustrating, requiring the key card to be slid in on every use, and arriving so quietly that I never notice it when they arrive and missed it quite a few times.
- No views to speak of; I saw the dirty backyard of a residential tower.
- This is the hotel Edward Snowden stayed in after fleeing to HK.

Overall, great value and would happily stay here again.