FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mira Moon Hotel, Hong Kong, a member of Design Hotels [Master Thread]
Old May 4, 2017, 6:16 am
helvetic

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Mira Moon Hotel, Hong Kong, a member of Design Hotels [Master Thread]

Since my last stay, there have been a few additions to the SPG portfolio via the Design Hotels partnership. My go-to SPG spot in HK used to be the W; which is stylish and fun, but expensive and a bit out of the way. But in the last half-year or so, we saw the addition of the Mira, the Mira Moon, and the Ovolo Southside via the Design Hotels partnership.

I've stayed at the Mira for the past two nights; and due to some complications I cancelled my flight out today and returned to HK and am currently staying at the Mira Moon. I don't currently see a thread for the Mira Moon, so I'm starting one to provide some thoughts.

First, the things that people care most about here: SPG Platinum recognition. As a Design hotel; it doesn't have full participation into SPG and the advertised status benefit. This is unfortunate. At check-in I was offered a paid upgrade to a larger room; to which I asked whether they typically provide upgrades free for Platinum members. The front-desk seemed to have to dig through the reservation a bit to check my status; but after discovering it she said something along the lines of "of course" and gave me an upgraded room. The room is still quite small, but well-designed, and has a partial harbor view with a full view of the ICC across Victoria Harbor. I also inquired about a late-checkout and was offered 2pm as a courtesy.

Overall, I'm loving this hotel. Being located in Wan Chai is quite convenient—for the tourists, it's close to Happy Valley, the Peak. For the drinkers, it's super close to Wooloomooloo (a favorite rooftop bar of mine), is surrounded by other bars, and a short taxi ride away from LKF. It's also not too far away from the Wan Chai Star Ferry stop either.

It's a super-small boutique hotel with under 100 rooms, located in one of those crazy-tall-and-narrow HK buildings, with 36 stories and about 4 rooms per story. The design is stylish and gorgeous, and they take the moon theme to the next level.

The tapas fusion restaurant and bar on the 3rd floor has a ridiculously generous happy hour of buy-one-get-one-free on any drinks by the glass from
4pm to 9pm and a selection of tapas (that's where I'm sitting to write this note).

The rates seem to be between 1200-1500 HKD per night; which is quite reasonable (~$200 USD all-in) compared to the large western 5-star hotels (W, Conrad, IC, etc. can easily cost $400/night all-in). I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

I've also stayed at the Mira hotel and have visited the Ovolo Southside for drinks, so I'll provide feedback on those in the appropriate threads.