FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amsterdam for one day in May ! Recommendations
Old May 4, 2017, 5:51 am
:D!

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by joshwex90
When using public transportation, I see I can buy tickets online (costs € 8,40 for r/t ticket between AMS and Amsterdam Centraal). Any benefit to this? Is it more expensive this way? Any issues buying online?
You cannot use the Dutch railways website to buy this as it only accepts Dutch internet banking payments.

However, you can buy these train tickets at https://www.discoverholland.com/Tickets

If intending to travel around Amsterdam by public transport, then the Amsterdam Travel Ticket for €16 may be of interest. Buying online here is merely a "prepayment" as you still have to collect it at the airport. But as you are worried about your credit card not being accepted in person, this seems like the ideal* option unless your intention is to walk around all day.

If operating in euros, then it costs 10 cents more than buying the train tickets online and a GVB 24-hour pass separately; but it is surely worth it to avoid having to find the ticket machine in Amsterdam Centraal metro station; furthermore anyone paying cash or wanting to buy their train ticket in person will be saving money as there is a paper ticket fee which is not charged for the Amsterdam Travel Ticket. (But I believe there is a credit card fee when buying in person at Schiphol station.)

*pun intended (iDEAL is the Dutch internet banking thing I mentioned, which is the least ideal option for foreigners)