FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Change flight in September
View Single Post
Old May 4, 2017, 12:48 am
irishguy28
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by home222
I contacted American Express to ask about the charges on our September 2 - 13 LAX / FCO flight. I was told to hold off until the airline actually ceases operations and then put in a dispute for "services not rendered". A service rep and a manager both advised me to do this.

Since I'm sitting on a large charge for two business class tickets, and the travel insurance I purchased excludes financial default, I may end up losing a ton of money on this if Am Ex does not reimburse.
They *will* reimburse if the services you paid for are not provided.

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Actually I disagree on that. Combined lecture of articles 5, 6 and 8 of EU regulation 261/2004 would IMO allow to be refunded the ticket. Moreover, it can be argued that this is a unilateral amendment to their agreement which is usually a big no no in most jurisdiction.
EU261/2004 is of no relevance when the issue at hand is the failure of an airline. (It amazes me that here on FT so many people reach to EU261/2004 as the answer to any and all "cancellation" questions. Let me put it this way: if a hotel or cruise company suddenly went out of business and stopped answering your calls, would you accept that you have lost your money forever because EU261/2004 - as the relevant "cancellation" legislation - only covers scheduled airlines, not hotels/cruise companies?).

Last edited by irishguy28; May 4, 2017 at 3:13 am