FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later
Old May 3, 2017, 8:16 pm
dkerr

Originally Posted by Red259
I take it I do not need to book roundtrip to do the layover in HKG? So I could fly NYC-HKG-SIN and then SGN-HKG-NYC on the way back? I had planned to try to do F on the way out since I could take advantage of the the nice CX lounges on my departure date. Maybe what I could do is if no return first flights are available from HKG to NYC when I do the initial booking is plan my layover in HKG on the way out so that way I have a few days to unwind and can basically wait for something to open up? I'm thinking about hurrying up and apping for an alaska airlines card so I can earn the extra points to be able to top off my account and redeem first both ways.
I doubt that the bonus miles from the credit card would get through in time for a June travel.... maybe for late june if you get the required spend done in the first billing cycle. But certainly no harm in trying.

CX first lounges in HKG are certainly nice. CX now use T8 in JFK so it is AA lounge which is under construction right now (as of early April new first class was open, business class was not and temp biz lounge is frankly hardly worth it).

On your return flight... you can't fly SGN-HKG then hang around a few days waiting for a seat to open up on HKG-JFK because you need to issue SGN-HKG-JFK as one ticket to have it priced out as one award. I do not know if you can make changes to a ticket once you have started the journey. E.g. could you ticket SGN-HKG for date A, HKG-JFK for date B then fly the first segment then try and change date B to date C. If you can do that (someone else would have to advise) then you could take any flight you can find even next year and change it when something opens up (at $125 fee if even possible).

As for stopover rules.... https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...nal-stopovers/

DAK

Last edited by dkerr; May 3, 2017 at 8:18 pm Reason: Added link for stopover blog