FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG American Express [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old May 2, 2017, 7:40 pm
controller1

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Twixboy
I bought a vacation package that includes a car rental from Alamo. The rental is completely paid for by the tour operator (including base price plus taxes and fees). Can I still use the AMEX premium rental insurance coverage if I swipe my card at Alamo? They have an optional $1.25 CO2 Offset charge (it's an add-on that's basically a donation to clean energy research) which I could charge to the card. Alternatively I can also upgrade to a full size for about $5-10/day. Will either of these charges activate the $20 rental insurance plan or do I need to pay for the full price of the rental with the AMEX to qualify?
If you didn't reserve the Alamo car using the SPG Amex, then you are out of luck. The T&C for that benefit states:
  1. To receive this benefit, you must both reserve and pay the full price of the rental with your Card.
That is pretty standard language for any type of travel insurance provided by a credit card.