FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here
Old May 2, 2017, 6:38 am
NWIFlyer
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Before I posted this I read a few older posts and think I should be fine. However, I just want to ask again just to make sure.

I'm flying DBV-ATH/ATH-HER on two separate PNRs with A3/OA with a 1.5 hr connection. I purchased it as two separate GoLight fares since the price difference was quite substantial compared to booking it as one PNR. If I have a checked bag, will they charge me the fee once or twice at DBV? Also, I'm guessing the check-in agents at DBV should be able to tag my bags all the way to HER since it's on A3/OA the entire way? From what I read, 1.5hr should be more than enough time to transit through ATH as long as the flight from DBV arrives on-time?

Thanks!
If you have two separate tickets, and have done so to avoid paying a much higher fee, I'm afraid you may be being somewhat over-optimistic.

I've not seen any specific examples, because most people doing this would be on HBO given the GoLight status of the tickets, so we're playing a bit of a guessing game. Mine is that the best case scenario is that the agent will be able to pull up both your reservations at DBV and charge you twice at point of origin. Only under those circumstances would you have any chance of a through check. I would be highly sceptical that this will happen though - much more likely you have to collect, re-check and re-pay at ATH.

At that point, 1.5 hours is far too short - any sort of delay in flight, baggage collection or check-in and your itinerary is toast. I believe you need to re-think your strategy.

At the very least, you should consider pre-paying for your bag online - you are much more likely to get a through check at DBV if you can show the agent your two receipts. It's also much cheaper than paying on the day, of course.

Even then, you will have an unprotected connection - bag through checking does not override the separate ticket issue.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 2, 2017 at 6:43 am