FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A question regarding Heathrow staff?
View Single Post
Old May 2, 2017, 5:22 am
navylad

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
OP, I am sorry to hear that you found 'BA' staff boarding you asking you to comply with the hand baggage allowance to be unpleasant.

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
I needed to get on the flight so i didnt really speak my mind. I only just read that duty free purchases are not allowed as an extra bag (So Norwegian, ryanair and easyjet all beat BA for this) ....
AFAIK, the airlines you mention have exactly the same policy as BA now (except FR has a 10kg weight limit and Easyjet only allow the extra small bag if you are a Plus cardholder or on a FLEXI fare), officially all state now that duty free purchased must be included within your hand baggage allowance. Obviously, there is variation on enforcement for this on different flights (often depending on load factors) and at different airports.

Please also note that, in line with other airlines, BA's conditions of carriage state

Originally Posted by BA COC
8h1) For reasons of safety and security we or our agents may ask to search and screen you and search, screen or x-ray your baggage. We will always try to search, screen or x-ray your baggage when you are present. However, if you are not available, we may search your baggage in your absence.

If you do not allow us to carry out the necessary safety and security searches, screening and x-rays, we will refuse to carry you and your baggage.
13b) You must present to us valid passports, visas, health certificates and other travel documents

Before you travel, you must present to us all passports, visas, health certificates and other travel documents you need for your journey. If we ask, you must:

allow us to take and keep copies of them and
deposit your passport or equivalent travel document with a member of the crew of the aircraft for safe custody until the end of the flight.
and also from BA's website

Originally Posted by BA.com
Will I be able to purchase duty free?

Yes, you can still purchase duty free. You must be able to fit any items you purchase at the airport, including duty free, into your hand baggage allowance.

Last edited by navylad; May 2, 2017 at 6:28 am