FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JAL disability services, AA codeshare
View Single Post
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:51 pm
duceno1

JAL disability services, AA codeshare

Hello, today I booked a flight with JAL through AA, for a JFK-HND flight in September. I was unable to select seats through AA. A brief background: I am a quadriplegic, travel with a power wheelchair, require an aisle chair, along with assistance with transferring to/from plane seat. This has not been an issue in the past, and was easy to arrange on my end. I'm a bit of a nervous ninny, so after booking through AA, I thought I would contact JAL and discuss my needs, and perhaps get a seat assignment for me and my travel partner. Unfortunately the gentleman I spoke with did not seem familiar with the process, and soon I was transferred to AA, who similarly did not seem to be familiar with arranging services. The AA rep stated that one of the locations did not have a jetway, and that I would need to navigate stairs. She thought this was at JFK, but she seemed unsure. I can't imagine this is accurate, but maybe it is? She suggested I follow up on a weekday for clarification, but then stated that there was no need to contact AA unless I haven't heard from them within 72 hrs of the flight. I prefer not to wait that long to learn that there may be issues. I do not understand why given the specific needs, that JAL wouldn't make the arrangements. The flight if booked through JAL is $200 more/ticket, but I wonder if that may be better so that I can deal directly with JAL. I am within the 24-hr refund window for AA, so I'm trying to see what options are available to help put my mind at ease. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!