FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska rail train Qs
View Single Post
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:53 am
Gardyloo
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by jason8612
I booked the fairbanks to anchorage train for tomorrow (Sunday Apr 30). Oddly with all the flying I do, I never took a train in the usa. Is there anything I need to be aware of?
How's check in? Is there any security? I assume not.
And I assume that the ride would be quite scenic. Also it seems that the train is their adventure class. Is that open seating or should I get a bit early to the station to get a window seat? I dont know if you can pre reserve a seat.

Thanks!
I don't think there's reserved seating on the Aurora winter train, and I'd be shocked if it was so full that you needed to be there too early to get a window. I haven't taken it in years, but it's a fun ride, especially in the "flag stop" zone between Healy and Talkeetna (where homesteaders and other off-the-grid people walk up to the tracks and flag down the train, or where those returning get off in the middle of nowhere.)

It's not as scenic as you might imagine, although there certainly very scenic stretches, particularly in the stretch between Healy and Hurricane Gulch, e.g.

Look here and maybe download the information for a mile-by-mile narrative on the route - http://www.alaskarails.org/ARR-mileposts.html