FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated “Digital Key” Thread
View Single Post
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:28 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I was in the Doubletree Excel on Wednesday and it wasn't offered (nor was OLCI). However I can see how the hotel's contactless key system would allow for this.

I've used the digital key option at many hotels in the USA. The upside is the ability to avoid the check-in queue, plus though I'm quite capable of wiping my traditional room card with interference from my mobile telephone, fortunately vice versa doesn't seem to happen. One absolutely massive advantage - at those hotels where they are on top of the game - is that you get a notification from the App when the room is ready for occupancy, and this could be well before you expect. You can then make a judgement call (e.g.) to drop by the hotel before heading to whatever work or engagement you had lined up. Or leave it if you know the room isn't ready.

The disadvantages include where you miss out on breakfast vouchers, wifi codes or bottles of water, when these are controlled by reception. And the DT biscuit I suppose! Also if your battery goes flat at the wrong time, and very occasionally the local signal isn't quite strong enough. You get the option to hide the room number if you wish.

There is a knack to it, in terms of pressing the green unlock button on the phone and the timing for your attempt to open the door. It's just over one second. If you do it too soon you may have to repeat the unlock button press.

Personally I think the best approach - assuming you're happy with the room allocation - is to choose digital key at an early stage, but still call in at the front desk if there isn't a queue to get any of the extras. If there is a queue you can pop by later, and indeed ask for a physical key as a backup.