FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 70 minute layover in MAD
View Single Post
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:48 am
Weekend Away

Programs: Skymiles Gold
I just connected in Madrid on Monday. LIS-MAD-ATL. UX and then DL.

The two flights were the furthest they could be from each other in the terminal. 30 min walk from gate to gate. Before you get to the international flights, you'll pass through customs. This didn't take long for me, five minutes at most. Once I got to the Delta area though, it got weird. Delta has the two gates at the end, and these two gates are roped off from the rest of the terminal. You'll present your boarding pass here and then they'll let you into the boarding area.

Since I had an AirEuropa boarding pass for the Delta flight, the people at the "Delta Area" grilled me for about 10 minutes on why I didn't have a Delta boarding pass. Where had I been on this trip? Name monuments I visited while in Lisbon. Why was I traveling solo. Where had I been in the past. It was weird. I was then taken by security to another area near the gate for additional security screening. There were a handful of us who were taken here. I was told this was happenning because I was a connecting passenger.

You'll most likely experience something similar. Air France boarding passes and you'll be a transit passenger. All of this added about another 20/30 min once I got to the gate area. I had 85 minutes from landing to take off and I was able to make the flight with the 30 minute walk and extra security screening, and still boarded with SkyPriority.

Seeing as how you'll be in the gate area for a bit dealing with this extra security, the gate agents will know you're there and will likely hold the plane for you.