FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Frustrating Secondary Gate Screening at LHR
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:30 am
Cory6188

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Frustrating Secondary Gate Screening at LHR

Flew LHR-JFK on DL yesterday, did the normal pre-checkin security interview, got my BP from the VS agent, and went to the VS Clubhouse - nothing out of the norm.

When the GA scanned my BP, he directed me over to the secondary screening area. I was pretty surprised, since my BP didn't have SSSS on it, so I asked the contract security woman doing the screening why I was being pulled aside, given that my BP didn't have have the SSSS indication.

She said "Oh, well your boarding pass says TSA on it," and pointed to TSA Precheck printed on the BP. I was like, "Wait, what?" She explained, "Since it says TSA then you get the additional screening."

I (very politely; the woman was very nice and was just doing her job, and wasn't trying to be malevolent) pointed out that TSA Precheck is just an indicator for (ironically) faster screening in the US, and doesn't mean anything at foreign airports. She basically shrugged her shoulders and kept going with the search. Not the end of the world, but I certainly would have appreciated not having my bag's contents spread out all over the table and having to repack it.

I wanted to try and get the DL Red Coat's attention to let her know that the contract security team was a bit confused, but she was tied up with boarding and I didn't get a chance to talk to her. I sent in a note to DL to give them a heads up (and said I don't want compensation or anything) so that it's hopefully something they can let the LHR station manager know about.

On the positive side, there was a nice, handwritten thank you note from the LHR Red Coat in my seatback pocket when I boarded.

Anyone ever run into this before? Definitely seemed like wires got crossed somewhere when the contract security agents were being trained...