FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - booking with AF/KLM.. is it better to get a quote in USD, or EUR or dest currency?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:37 am
NickB
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto
We were talking about IATA airlines using the IATA exchange system to price flights. Low cost airlines, like Ryanair, do not do this and charge flights in the original currency only.
Lest you should think that I am totally unaware of DCC practices of Ryanair, you may want to check who was the OP in the second thread you referenced....

Now, I have checked a random AMS-JFK flight in KLM website, the EUR price is 771, the USD price is 863.
According to xe.com 771€ is 838$, add even 2.7% CC charges on that and you are still better off paying in EUR than in USD.
Well, you are very good, much better than me because I cannot get the KL US website to price in USD a flight departing from AMS. What I get when I try to do this is prices in EUR preceded by the following message:
Originally Posted by KL USA website
Because of the country of departure you have chosen (Netherlands), all prices will be shown in EUR. The conditions of the departure country apply. You will receive an e-ticket by e-mail.
In other words, the KL website will charge by reference to the country of departure. An increasing number of airlines do this (BA, LH) although I was unaware that KL did this. If KL online charges in the currency of teh country of departure in any event, then it will make no difference which country you use (except for potential variation in local booking fees).

If you use a website that charges in local currency using the IATA conversion mechanism, like af.com, I am getting a return AMS-JFK sold for EUR758.39 on the AF NL site and sold for USD816.19 on the AF USA site, so slightly better on the USA site but within the margin (1%) of fluctuation between USD and EUR in a week (since NUC rates are set weekly, IIRC).