FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Venice to Limit Visitors, Turnstiles to get into San Marco?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:27 am
rickg523
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with desi in terms of titling. Once the new rules are actually in place, a comprehensive sticky should be prominent.
As to the proposals, I actually cannot believe the behemoths are still allowed to cruise through metro Venice and blast their tinny loudspeakers. The worst thing I ever experienced in Venice was strolling along the front and being - let's call it what it is - assaulted by a distorted rendition of "Con te Partiro" being blasted through the lousy PA horns on the deck of the ship of fools. Someone must have thought it was romantic. It was deplorable.
I also think the cruisers are the single biggest component of the overcrowding of Venice. I say this because if you took the same picture of San Marco that's in the article after 6 or 7 pm, when the cruisers go back to the boat for dinner, the contrast in crowding would be remarkable. Btw, I also put the evisceration of the 5 villages in Cinque Terre, most unfortunately, poor Vernazza, at the feet of cruisers as well.
Unrestrained conversion of properties to short term rentals (Airbnb) present significant quality of life issues to Venice, but considering how empty the city gets after the cruisers leave, overcrowding isn't something I lay at their feet.