FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Masterclass in Mis-managing IRROPS (LGW-JFK)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:07 pm
JAXBA

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
LGW-JFK on 4/26. I connected from Heathrow, and while still at LHR I begged them to let me on the direct LHR-JFK, or better yet, book me on LHR-LAX (since LAX was my final destination), as the flight was already showing a 30 minute delay. No dice. Absolutely refused.
No dice there, although hindsight makes it appear that it should have been allowed, it was, at that moment in time, a voluntary change you were requesting, as longhaul flights need to be delayed by 5 hours (or cause a missed connection) to permit a involuntary reroute under current published policy. (2 hrs s/h). Unless the then 30 minute delay was enough to cause a misconx at JFK, the staff at LHR weren't allowed to rebook you.

At the BA checkin desk, they had just 2-3 people to handle all the disruption arrangements for a nearly full 777. They also had 4 ticketing agents, 3 of them those who had abandoned post at the lounge earlier (which is why I assume they abandoned their posts and didn't simply go off shift).
The staffing level was definitely inadequate and embarrassing. With the staff who left the lounge, they may have been reassigned somewhere else, but someone else should probably have taken their place. Were there no BA staff left in the lounge after they went, or just no ticketing staff? I wonder why BA didn't start rebooking some pax in the lounge first, splitting the ticketing staff up.

Originally Posted by krispy84
I would also add that I don't think it's reasonable to expect BA to rebook the second segment ex-LAX that is on a fully AA PNR.
Originally Posted by justforfun
Why not? That is the OP's final destination, and the entire itinerary was purchased as one ticket.
Originally Posted by krispy84
Which AA subsequently split in 2, as related by the OP in post 1.
Even if the PNR had been split, if SMF were on the same tkt, BA absolutely had the responsibility and ability to rebook that too. AA PNR, AA tkt, no problem; I did it several times when I worked for BA because I was meant to (and could).