FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The most expensive miles + cash ticket ever?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:16 pm
Paul510

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
The most expensive miles + cash ticket ever?

OK - let me explain, originally I paid 87.5K miles plus $360 so my wife could fly from SFO/MSP/DLH RT and in F on the SFO/MSP legs. Yes that's expensive but it gets even steeper. My wife has a change of plans since it's a family visit for her and she wants to get off the plane in MSP, and keep the return as is.

I tell her to call DL since the res is in her name, she does and has too wait a total of almost 3 hours before anyone can help her with this simple request. She is firm in not wanting to pay the $150 change fee since she is just canceling the leg from MSP/DLH and they can resell her seat, the flight is 4 days out. Eventually someone comes on the line and says "OK everything has been zero-out" with no other explanation and they quickly hang up on her.

The zero-outing was her losing her seat in F, for the SFO/MSP leg and is placed in "economy basic" with no seat assignment, I get $5k miles re-deposited in my account, when I tell her she is in "economy basic" with only middle seats left she says she is too beaten down to do anything about it.

So the new price of the original ticket is 82.5K plus $360 cash and only 1 F seat on the MSP/SFO leg everything else in "basic economy"

I go online and get her back into her original F seat on the SFO/MSP leg for an additional 22.5K miles and not change fee, so now the total cost of the ticket is 100k miles $360 cash for a 4 leg domestic trip with 2 short legs on a RJ in "basic economy". Needless to say I've sent a complaint email just asking for 22.5K miles to re-deposited.

Can anyone top that? Thanks for reading it all.
Paul