FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CBC: Dad, 2 young kids ordered off Air Canada plane after mother turned away at gate
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:31 am
VoodooYYC

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
CBC doesn't need a major story about AC. AC is already done in the minds of a lot, if not majority, of Canadians. We are now at the point where the gov't has to get involved to protect the consumer because AC could care less..
And I would encourage everyone of those Canadians to fly WestJet, or the new subsidiary LessJet. Because WestJet never makes any mistakes, and they always treat the customer as #1 . Heck, you don't even need to buy a ticket, you can just show up, and those peachy-keen Westjetters will just put you on one of those fancy airplane doohickeys.

Again, yes, in some cases, the airlines make mistakes, but just as often, it's an inept and ill informed customer who is equally at fault. In this particular instance, the truth must lie somewhere in the middle. Arriving more than 2 hours in advance, but missing the flight? Why wouldn't you find an agent monitoring the line, and point out your deadline so they could move you up in the line? Every airline in NA has personnel out monitoring the lines. And why would AC outright lie about the circumstances of the alleged removal? The family says the 3 of them wanted to go, but the airline says they outright refused and demanded to get off if Mom didn't get on? What actually happened would be interesting to know.

I'm also tired of the analogy of "Well, I bought a ticket to the Leafs game, blah, blah, blah". It is common knowledge (i.e. It is Known) that airlines overbook, and unless you either buy a higher fare, or pay for seat selection, you have not purchased a specific seat. There are many ways to protect yourself from the very rare IDB, including seat selection, or OLCI.

Having said that, I agree that all airlines (except of course, WestJet, because they're so awesome!), should put some sort of warning in big block letters when you buy a Tango fare "It is common practise for airlines to overbook. In instances where planes are oversold, passengers in this fare class will be the first ones selected for removal. You can reduce your chances of this occurring by purchasing a seat selection in advance, and checking in online 24 hours prior to your flight. Passengers arriving at the airport without a seat selection or having checked in are at a higher risk for removal.

Too wordy, but that's the jist...