FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Go for 150K or a second program
View Single Post
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:14 pm
rbAA

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Similar dilemma here, but I'm resolved not to fly much AA at all, with only about $800 in spend on AA for the 12k+ EQD's this year. I'll be at 137k EQM's, so very close to the 150k. Both my GF and I will be/are EXP, so that's 8 eVP's between us, meaning we will need to do at least 2 RT's on AA (usually HKG-LAX) by 2/1/19. Considered going for BA GGL but passed as BA is as terrible if not more so than AA. Plus only fly a few domestic segments so AC access is not worth the hassle. Can always get day passes from BE.

With 3 to 4 BKK-US RT's per year, I'm finding that just buying business makes the most sense and status be damned. I will always have LT PLT on AA to fall back on. I'd miss the CX FC lounges especially the Haven, so I can avoid eating AA's J meal on the way to LAX. Plus, in 2019 will/should go over 5MM lifetime so there's another 4 eVP's to deal with. Stocked up on AA RDM's last year and with this year's changes, especially flying OW partners in business, it has been lucrative, so enough powder to deal with the devaluation.

As I have an OS business class trip SIN-BKK-VIE-LAX later this year, I'm looking for a possible status match to a Star airline (I would have tried UA 1k match/challenge but I'm UA silver from a hotel program benefit, definitely not flying, and after the examples of poor CS on UA, passed. I just don't want to fly that much UA and I've been there and done that some time ago.) Looked at TG, since I'm living in Bangkok, but I never fly them as their pricing is terrible and there are better options out of BKK. Maybe A3? Suggestions?