FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - he's not wrong [President of Ghana commenting about BA's Accra route]
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:27 pm
binman

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Perfectly reasonable for anyone to express their opinion on the actions of airline and perhaps it is also important that head of state stand up for their ( small) countries when globalised businesses try take advantage of them.

I lived and work in Ghana in the late 80's early 90's ( Gerry Rawlings regime)and BA had a pretty ropey reputation then for using clapped out aircraft on the route. Tri-stars that only just made it and often dumped half the pineapple cargo to get back to London. Things improved with the takeover of BCal whose reputation in neighbouring Sierra Leone and other west African countries was streets ahead. That brought in the DC10 and a marked improvement in service.

Fares have sadly always been exploitative from West Africa and discounts were generally rare. Ghana Airways had some great routes around the region and I remember taking a 3 or 4 stops epic to fly back to Accra from Banjul.

Did you know that the senior Captain in Ghana airways was also the worlds most experienced Captain on DC10s! Nice chap but his name alludes me.