FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:49 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hb133
Now, if my connection had been missed (e.g. due to a late arrival on the LHR-DOH flight), I know this would be a clear case for compensation from looking at CAA / EU261 documents. However, I can't find anything anywhere regarding a delay on the second flight on a single ticket.

Any suggestions?
You will be unlikely to recover the money here, unless you take legal action or QR decides to be nice to you. Also I don't see the reason for the delay, which may also be relevant here. Essentially the CAA and others believe you should be covered, but Qatar, AA and a number of airlines do not agree, and won't normally pay out on second leg cases outwith Europe. The CAA is trying to take action against them on a "licence to operate" basis but this is a slow process. It's further complicated in that the EC261 ruling isn't totally clear on this in terms of wording for non Community carriers. Having said that, any case that got to appellate level I am nearly certain the court would say that if it was on one booking, the animus of the Regulation should apply throughout. AA at least tend to give a customer service gesture, Qatar isn't renown for being able to do this.

So by all means ask, but if you get a decline, your only option is MCOL, and even that isn't a definite path.

The 125 ticket isn't relevant here, it's only relevant if there is a cancellation or downgrade. So this is essentially a Qatar issue. When buying tickets for travel on non Community airlines, this factor is worth bearing in mind.