FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To the Serengeti: LAX-DXB-DAR-DXB-LAX on EK F/J w/ Photos
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:12 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Wow! Great trip report and amazing photos. What camera are you using?
Also, what month did you go? The baby animals are just big enough to be curious, and not glued to their mother's side. It looks like a fantastic time to plan a trip.
Thanks for your kind words. I used a Nikon D80 and did minimal editing before posting--others on the trip with different cameras had comparable photos, the quality of game-viewing was incredible (we were there in February)

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I noticed that for Kenya a Yellow Fever shot is recommended but not for Tanzania. Did you bother? I ask because they advise against it for anyone over 60. It is the only vaccination that is a live virus and there have been some deaths; though small.
Nobody in our group got Yellow Fever. My understanding is that if Tanzania is the only place you go in Africa, it's not necessary.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I was going to say the same thing. I mean we've seen some great safari TRs in this forum, but the mix of timing and ability to catch these shots is top notch ^
Thank you!

Originally Posted by susiesan
What safari outfitter or tour company did you use for your trip? I am i the early stages of planning a Tanzanian safari and want to visit he same areas you did.

How were your accommodations? Didd you go luxury, mid range, or budget? Can you name the camps and lodges you stayed at?
We booked through Africa Travel Resource. In the early stages of our planning, we weren't set on going to Tanzania and wanted a travel agent who could talk through the pros and cons of different regions and different seasons.

Our accommodations were mid-range. This was our itinerary: http://www.africatravelresource.com/trip/qimuda_1405/1/

We were traveling as a group of 8 and wanted two jeeps to ourselves. If you have specific questions about the accommodations in that trip, I'm happy to try and answer. My sense is that you can probably find better prices for comparable trips if you go through a local travel agent, but I liked the variety of accommodations and itineraries available through ATR and their expertise ensured that we had great game viewing despite it being an unseasonably dry year (others we encountered on our travels weren't so lucky).