FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:15 pm
Kevin AA
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Good lord with the union bashing. I get it, some of you think unions no longer serve a purpose. And there are a number of bad union apples who just won't listen. But as long as executive staff whose only real skill is to cut costs as much as possible to line their own pockets by finding loopholes to take things away from the very people who make the airline work, unions are still very much a necessity.

How about creating an environment where unions are not necessary? How about starting from a point where employees feel empowered to make decisions that make sense, rather than strict, unbending adherence to rules that are geared to save the company money at any cost? How about, in this specific case, taking a look at the "values" that United has held dear since even before the merger, and are what have caused this fuster cluck in the first place, rather than blaming unions for the fact that United as a whole considers passengers little more than self-loading freight?
I agree, but Southwest Airlines has more unionized employees than any other airline (from what I have read), and it's been like that since day 1. The difference is that WN management and the WN labor unions work together to make their passengers happy. UA management and UA labor unions work together to make their passengers as miserable as possible. The only reason UA is still in business is because people refuse to fly another carrier. If a non-stop flight on an airline staffed by rude employees is more important than a connecting flight on an airline staffed by pleasant employees, then nothing changes.