FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Dar es Salaam (Kilimanjaro), Tanzania REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:33 am
danger

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I have decided not to contribute my usual detailed reviews of stays for a few months so I'll just touch on a couple of points.

I had an enjoyable two night stay recently and found the hotel to be a very solid Regency property. I was upgraded to a regency suite which was spacious with its own kitchenette. The Regency Club lounge is small with the evening offerings minimal but of a high quality. Breakfast is served in the restaurant which is very nice. I also ate in the restaurant one evening and had a very nice meal. Food and drink prices at the hotel, including room service, were very reasonable. Staff are polite but, in which I assume is an African thing, not particularly engaged; several seemed bored, even.

On landing at the airport I negotiated a fare with a hawker for USD22. He originally wanted USD35 and I suspect I probably still overpaid a little. That said, leaving the airport about 4pm on a weekday, traffic was horrendous. The journey took an hour and there were considerable periods where we didn't move an inch. From Dar I took the ferry to Zanzibar. A bellman was happy to go to the ferry terminal and purchase a ticket for me, charging me TZS5000 for the return taxi. When it was my term to go to the ferry the driver charged me TZS10000 for the one way trip.

I'd be happy to return.