FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): Q&A, OK for partners, 2 year life (Dec 2022)
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:34 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
As I said before, a single agent giving you bad/wrong info. does not make a policy change. There are probably dozens of threads over the past few years suggesting a policy had changed based on a single instance of something being different than normal. And those are almost always debunked...back in the day, sometimes by UA Insider when they contributed regularly. Once, I got a stroopwafel as the snack in Y on a flight that left at noon. I could've posted that there was a policy change to serve stroopwafels later in the day...only it wouldn't have been true.

Again, thousands of UA agents - and not all of them know as much as they think they do. You can easily run into this problem at any number of large (and sometimes even not so large) companies - and I have. UA and multiple others. If it's your perogative to tell your friend not to VDB on UA because of this, you are certainly entitled to do so. But I'd wager to guess that most people that take VDBs have no issues using the value on flights that comply with the terms.

If you are really that bothered by it, then by all means, write a note to feedback, write a tweet to UA, or through whatever method you want. But it seems you got your ETC value back (as you should have), so its probably time to let it go.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 22, 2017 at 9:57 pm Reason: Modifying quote is not premittedm has been deleted