FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - VX Becomes World’s First Airbus A321neo Operator
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:41 pm
SNAnghbr

Originally Posted by dayone
C'mon, guys, it's not like I made that up...
Minicucci said Alaska is learning a lot about the Airbus planes since taking over Virgin America, but noted Alaska's success has always relied on placing "the right airplane in the right market" and thinks the Airbus A321 has limited use on transcontinental routes.

"We think it's a better north to south airplane," he said, later continuing, "Whether they go to Hawaii or transcon, I think we will make the right decision to maximize their potential."
Alaska Air doesn't want all of the Airbus A321neo jets Virgin America ordered
That is actually a misquote that the journalists did not correct. The actual quotation as seen below from the official transcript from the conference call has Ben saying that the A320 was limited not the A321 which they see as a transcon or Hawaii plane

Ben Minicucci - Alaska Air Group, Inc. - President & COO
Hi, Helane, it's Ben. And Andrew and I are partnering on this with his team.
The Airbus is a great airplane. As you know, we love Boeings, we are all Boeing and we are proud of that and we are learning a lot about the Airbus.

What I will tell you is where you put the Airbus, one of the things we've done well is we put the right airplane in the right market. The Airbus is
limited, the A320 at least, is limited as a transcon airplane. We think it's a better north to south airplane.

So at least in the next five years I think you will see Andrew's team work with the ops team really to get these airplanes in the right markets to really
maximize their potential. And so where the 321s go, whether they go to Hawaii or transcon, I think we will make the right decision for to maximize
their potential.