FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Airlines President: Leaving New York’s JFK ‘Was the Wrong Decision’ {2017}
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:10 pm
minnyfly

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by channa
If you read the article, he said the customer who bought JFK also bought other tickets, and since they lost that customer on JFK, that customer shopped around on other trips as well.

Your mindset of looking at the flight in isolation is what got them in this mess in the first place.
Can't remember how many times I've read the article already.

You clearly didn't closely read the totality of my post. It says network this and network that. We can take an extreme example like losing every SFO-JFK passenger from the network and be unsure if it "badly" hurt SFO.

Originally Posted by channa
JFK-LAX are the two biggest markets in the United States.
JFK-SFO is also quite substantial

There's simply no excuse for it.
Just because a market is "big" doesn't mean an airline will fly it. I'd say CHI-LAX is a big market, yet DL isn't there. Same story with SFO-CHI.

Your overstating of JFK is easily exposed. On paper ORD-JFK is a big market, yet AA only has a single hub-to-hub flight. DFW-JFK should be large, but there's only one flight from AA and a single RJ from DL. IAH-JFK? nothing. Even DCA-JFK is lightly flown. The prime demand for JFK is limited to beyond the LGA perimeter. EWR is right there with JFK for domestic O&D. I don't see anyone complaining that all airlines besides UA hardly touch it. It's clearly a "large market" too.