FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2017
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:00 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by iolairemcfadden
These daily getaways are starting to bug me. I feel some of the offers are completely false or misleading when you look at the estimated values. I believe this has turned into false advertising and something they should/could be sited for by consumer advocates.

For example they offer 100k Hilton Honors points for $480 with an estimated value of $1,000.
https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/O...6-58a5fd99c253

However if you were to look at Hilton Honors awards in a major City such as Washington DC or NYC its common to see $205 (advance purchase) rooms listed at 50k points.

That price estimates the value at 1 cent per point, however others have estimated that only the two lowest categories of 10 hotel award categories are worth more than 1 center per point. At least in major metro areas there are no 1 or 2 category hotels, so I doubt 50% of the redemptions are at that level.
https://www.valuepenguin.com/hilton-...ewards-program

If anything in my area that $480 price is higher than just booking an advance purchase room rate.

I've also checked my Hilton account and they are offering me 50k points + 50k bonus points for $500 (I'm gold), so that $480 offer is only $20 less than what Hilton will directly sell the points for.
The price for points when Hilton normally sells points for is a penny a point.

The fact that this is a horrible price for Hilton points and that every so often Hilton runs points sales doesn't suddenly make Daily Getaways bait and switch. They are comparing to the normal price for Hilton points.

Also, point reservations aren't the same as non-refundable advance purchase, so I don't think your comparison is an exact match. Points reservations can be cancelled and the points refunded; advance purchase rates are nonrefundable.