FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cape Town, South Africa
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:52 pm
KRS

Protea Sea Point and Protea Franschhoek

Just back from 6 nights at Protea Sea Point (on Arthur's Road) and 2 nights at Protea Franschhoek.

Protea Sea Point:
Was a bit sceptical about this hotel but got a rate I couldn't pass up.
Booked the Standard Guest room, 1 Queen, Limited view.

Inquired at check-in about upgrades (expecting nothing as this was the only room type they had been selling for weeks prior to our arrival), but was told it would be difficult due to the hotel being full for our last 3 days. In the end we received the room we had booked and a promise they would see what they could do. Front desk staff were very helpful and full of smiles.

This room was on the 1st floor with no view, and very limited space. Shower was basically a metal cubicle within the room and the sink was in the room proper. Only room for one suitcase to be opened on the floor.
I am glad we did not end up staying in this room

Within one hour we were told they had arranged an upgraded room for us on the 2nd floor. Based on pictures on the website this was a Deluxe Guest room, 1 King, Partial sea view. It was a much nicer room, with 2 balconies - one facing Arthur's road, and one facing west down Arthur's Road towards the sea. Looking at the floor plan indicated this was the largest room on the floor.

The wifi worked well, and there is free street parking, and also gated underground parking for ZAR50/night.

As first time visitors to Cape Town we were unsure of the location but as we ended up taking an Uber or rental car almost everywhere it didn't really matter. We did not try breakfast at the hotel, but normally went to a Bootleggers nearby. Hotel is ideally situated for access to the Sea Point Promenade for walking or running. This stretch appeared to be fairly populated early and late and we had no qualms walking or running there.

I would recommend the hotel if the price is right and the location suits you, but would not stay there in a Standard room.

Protea Franschhoek:
Booked and received Junior Suite (I think there is nothing to upgrade to) which is actually a proper suite with separate bedroom and living room/kitchen.

Received Platinum arrival gift options after requesting them (and a "Thanks for reminding us!" )

Free, though non-shaded and non-gated parking

Breakfast was pretty good and I believe is included for all.
We saw some people being served omelettes and ordered the same though no told us about this option nor did we see any info about it. Muffins were excellent!

Hotel is centrally located for Franschhoek town, close to shops and restaurants. Now that Uber works in the area getting around the vineyards was not a problem either (caveat: we did not venture far by Uber, only to La Petite Ferme and Haute Cabriere).

The hotel definitely needs some refurbishment (and I think it is planned for this winter) though it was fine for our 2 night stay. There are proper keys and not key cards for the rooms. Our front door was a bit wobbly and with fairly strong winds I had to jam it with a magazine to keep it from slamming all night.
The shower had disappointing water pressure, and hot and cold water adjusted separately.

Annoyingly the internet was capped at 300MB/day and front desk had to reset if you exceeded the limit.

We are able to borrow an electrical adapter, though later discovered one behind the bedside table also.

For visiting Franschhoek this hotels fits the bill nicely, unless one is looking for something more luxurious of which there are certainly many nearby.