FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do I have to clear security in the uk when I'm connecting?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:53 am
N1120A

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by skipness1E
The UK is a terrorist target and we have to take security seriously. I have travelled through a number of major airports where the screeners don't even look at the xray machines. It's theatre, just a different style from UK. NO UK Home Sec could in conscience allow those passengers, i.e. Me, to connect out of the UK without rescreening, be honest. Remember even Rome and Athens used to be famously poor for security? Even in the 1990s!
The Schengen security structure is also under scrutiny so AMS may need to review what they do (again). Too many opportunities for loopholes exist if the rules were to be relaxed.
That is a pretty ridiculous assertion. First, this isn't the 1990s. Security at ATH is better and more professional, while also being FAR more polite and accommodating, than in the UK. Second, it is a pretty ridiculous assertion to say that the UK has better security than every industrialized, or even developing, nation. That simply isn't true. The UK is almost exclusively about theatrics and extension of an overbroad, freedom-hating security state. There is ZERO reason to force rescreening on connections where people have gone through security already, especially from "safe" countries.