FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question about Sky Miles earning system
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:53 am
tom_MN

Question about Sky Miles earning system

Haven’t flown Delta much but recently had 2 round trip flights, MSP>>SNA on a Delta ticket for which I got 2790 “base” miles and the point calculation method quoted is “R = Mileage earned based on ticket price.” Then I flew Delta & Air France MSP>>MRS on a KLM ticket (074____) for which I received 2698 base miles, system quoted is “D = Mileage earned based on distance flown.”

So I get more “base miles” for the much shorter flights? The SNA trip did cost more than the MRS trip.

Is the D designation for the MRS trip correct? If the round trip is 9558 miles how can it earn only 2698 base miles if calculated on distance flown? Delta seems to have calculated the Delta MSP>>AMS segments at 25% of miles flown, and the Air France segments at 50% of miles flown, unless I have that wrong. Is all this in a table somewhere? The Delta website is of little help and there’s a lot of medallion talk which I don’t need and confuses things. I'll never be medallion anything. Seems like I should get 100% of the miles flown on Delta deposited in my Skymiles account. Is there a penalty for buying Delta tickets from the KLM website when flying Delta? Or am I penalized for having a very cheap ticket.

I thought Delta was going to a Southwest type points system based on $$, their system is much easier to understand.