FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:42 pm
nitzer

Programs: AA Advantage
Talking lol

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Your numbers are much too big. If I were on that plane and witnessed the incident, I wouldn't have any claim for any trauma caused by witnessing it. I'd feel indignation, but not any kind of danger or anxiety. Your 200 million figure, I think it would be malpractice for a lawyer to recommend sticking at a demand like that and going to trial in the face of a reasonable offer. And the 2 million figure, no witness has any claim anywhere near that size.

Dr. Dao's responsibility is to himself. He has no obligation to onlookers, he has no obligation to crusade for justice. He should make his own choices. As soon as he asks my opinion, I'll think the matter over and tell him what I think. But I'm not sitting by my phone waiting for it to ring.
Are you telling me they would not pay that amount? Because the damage in court will be much much more expensive to their reputation and possible change in legislation due to what is being said in court. Remember they have admitted to guilt. Not to mention daos lawyer will try and show a pattern of abuse. Which could lead to huge sums in class action. They can pay a lot now or pay DEARLY later. In court the jury decides and it will be less money but very painful to your stock, reputation and most likely get a lot of passenger control nuked with a passengers bill of rights. In settlement there is no jury and the sky is the limit and you can keep most of your secret control rules. Then United can focus on making sure congress doesn't give passengers more rights. Personally I'd love to see this go to court but that's me.

Last edited by nitzer; Apr 19, 2017 at 10:50 pm