FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Plat/Gold/Bus cards. August 2016: 1 personal & 1 business bonus/24 months.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:07 am
bobert24

Originally Posted by NTP9766
I've always used the phone because I hadn't known that you could cancel a card via SM until a few months ago. Not that I've had this issue, but I think it'd also lower the chance of me accidentally closing the wrong card, like if I forgot to select the appropriate card from the drop-down menu going into the SM window.
Yeah, I've worried about that one before. A tip to help prevent it: refer to the cards the same way they do. They always reference the cards by the last 4 digits of the card number, so when I SM to close, I do the same. That way in case I somehow didn't select the correct card, they'll have to reply and ask for clarification, and I can fix the problem. (Putting the last 4 in the message also guarantees that I'll remember to look at the dropdown and make sure they match.) I do that for any major/non-reversible request that I send via SM (closing, reducing CL, etc.)
Originally Posted by beltway
IMO the best time to ask for the match is as soon as possible (so shortly after the card arrives in the mail). I don't know if we have reports on whether Citi requires such requests to be made within a certain time frame after approval. (As you may know, Chase has such a policy.)
Citi does have a time limit. It's 3 months, but I can't remember if that's from date of application, date of approval, or what. I tried with a card that was a little over 5 months old, and they denied me. It's been a while since I did that though, so the card is closed and the SM is gone, and I can't check exactly what they said.