FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lack of ability to offer compensation, toothless customer service
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:00 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sparky01635
What did customer services offer me when I called this afternoon? A miserable £40 or 9k of avios. Awful in my opinion. Furthermore, no option to escalate the complaint or discuss with a supervisor. 2.5% refund...
As is now well known here, BA changed their stance from being perhaps over generous to becoming overly stringent. The good news is that two can play that game: set your own compensation amount, and just pursue BA for it. It's not even a lot of work or difficult to do. So long as it is a reasonable / rational amount, there is a very high chance of you recovering it from the evidence I've seen in the public side of this forum and also via PMs. Your options here involve Section 75, CEDR, MCOL and Chargeback. I wouldn't over analyse it, just go and press the relevant buttons.

Here I had a expensive mistake of booking two flights to LA, because the first booked 3 months earlier did not show up on my Executive club list of forthcoming flights and I mistakenly booked again.
I'm afraid I can only agree with some of the other contributors, I think that's the sort of thing where the responsibility rests with you. There is a 24 hours cancel process to accommodate this sort of thing. I doubt it's much consolation but it's the sort of thing one only does once in a lifetime.

she advised that BA changed their policy a while back to not upgrade loyal exec members and instead upgrade non-status holders in the hope they will get a taste of a higher class seat and book that in future.
This is such an oversimplification it's difficult to know where to start - but a simple version would be that it's not true. It is the case that DUT is giving some taster OpUps, and there is some evidence of pushing Silvers up the tree a bit. But as you will see from the OpUp thread, status is still a powerful enabler of upgrades. The far, far bigger factor is that BA's services remain pretty full and full cabins = no upgrades. If it's important then the ability of BAEC members to AUP, POUG, UuA, GUF, WtP overload and more general DUT their way into higher cabins remains probably on a par with AA overall. With apologies for the alphabet soup there, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree here.