FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Renting at LGA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:32 pm
cestmoi123

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by bkco88
Picked up from LGA on 4/14. Here is my experience with "Ultimate Choice"

Arrived around 12AM. Went to counter, had a very friendly conversation with check in agent. He directed me to the midsize section of the lot and said I could take anything in that row (500's). In order from left to right, it had:
- Kia Forte
- Toyota Corolla
- Hyundai Sonata
- Toyota Corolla
- Hyundai Elantra
- Kia Forte

Naturally, I was pleased to be able to pick the larger Sonata and proceeded to the exit.

Once at the exit, without even saying hello - the agent looked up my reservation and told me "You're going to have to pay more for that, it's not a midsize."

I explained the concept of ultimate choice. She radioed her manager and said "There is some guy here who reserved a mid size but wants a full size". Manager said I would have to go in and pay more. I politely protested a bit more and said it was clearly in the midsize section. She rolled her eyes at me and said "please just put it back where you found it and get the car class you reserved. I asked the manager and don't know what else to tell you"

At that point, it was well past midnight and I realized I was not going to win this battle. I reversed out of the gate and returned it back to it's spot and hopped in a corolla. Not a word was exchanged with the CSR at the exit.
Ah, yes, the quality experience that is Hertz LGA.