FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:46 am
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryU
I just called UA and the agent had never heard of extending the four hour limit but was willing to call a supervisor who got the deed done after 45 minutes on hold.

The itinerary was actually booked as a one way, not multi-city, using the various filter options to pull up the segments that I wanted. I had figured that this would be sufficient to allow the final segment to be upgraded with the same RPU but that did not turn out to be the case.
Its possible that there is some sort of hard-coded rule in the web site that just looks at connections exceeding four hours and ignores the other nuances.
I think this is the case, although an agent once told me that anything with a date change will be split.

A while ago I had a daytime layover/stopover that was just over four hours because no earlier connection existed. After applying the upgrade on the website, the request only showed on the first segment. It was an international to domestic connection with a date change due to the time zone change, and the connection was still daytime. To get the request added to the second, I had to call, which took about 15 minutes but was done without any particular pushback.