FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:11 am
LarryU

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It is not specifically a RPU issue but is an issue on connection vs stopover.

UA defines this in the CoC

So the four hour limit can be extended if no scheduled alternative exists.
Originally Posted by jsloan
In my experience, the online system will not allow upgrades to span overnight connections booked as multi-city journeys. The pricing engine will calculate the fare properly, but the upgrade system would see your connection point as a stopover. I haven't tried calling an agent, but I'm certain it won't work if you try to do it online.

If you didn't use multi-city search to find the flights, my guess is that it would allow one certificate to be used for the entire direction of travel automatically.
I just called UA and the agent had never heard of extending the four hour limit but was willing to call a supervisor who got the deed done after 45 minutes on hold.

The itinerary was actually booked as a one way, not multi-city, using the various filter options to pull up the segments that I wanted. I had figured that this would be sufficient to allow the final segment to be upgraded with the same RPU but that did not turn out to be the case. Its possible that there is some sort of hard-coded rule in the web site that just looks at connections exceeding four hours and ignores the other nuances.