FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:09 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
My flight is about 3 weeks away, so what would you think are my chances of a successful RPU on that segment?
As jsloan said, terrible. There are 3 seats left, total, for people to buy in the next three weeks. The odds of them selling those are very high.

Conversely, my flight from LAX-HNL seems REALLY empty, and only 7 of the 28 UC seats are taken (according to the seat map), and the buckets are showing F9 A9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 as of now, so I'm hoping I'll end up with a CPU on that flight! That would be Polaris, right? Flight 1158, on a 777.
Polaris is only for long-haul international flights. LAX-HNL on the 28F 777-200 (77G) will have lie-flat seats up front in a 2-4-2 configuration and standard domestic First service.

Just to be clear, does a single RPU apply for the entire trip (DEN-MNL-DEN and all of the segments that make up the itinerary), or just the return portion (MNL-DEN, and the 3 segments that make up that portion of the itinerary)?
One RPU should really only cover all segments in one region in one direction, so just HNL-DEN. You should call and see what you can apply it to though. I've never actually though of trying to RPU one journey with RPU-eligible segments in different regions joined by a non-eligible segment but I don't think that can be done with a single RPU.