FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:52 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I just searched for a one way HNL-DEN, and here are the fare buckets:

F3 A3 JN3 C3 D3 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 XN9 X8

My flight is about 3 weeks away, so what would you think are my chances of a successful RPU on that segment?
Very low. They're only selling three seats in the forward cabin, and none of them below a D fare. You need R space to upgrade; P/PN are good signs. Z0 is a decidedly bad sign.

I don't really care about upgrading on the other segments. According to the United page, Economy is sold out for that flight, and only Economy (flexible) is available. Would that affect things, do you think?
No, that won't affect anything. As you can see, there's availability in all economy fare classes -- they're even offering award seats. What you're seeing is a combination of a display artifact in the UA user interface and a lack of discount one-way fares for DEN-HNL.

If I request RPU, does that try to upgrade the whole return flight (MNL-DEN), or just HNL-DEN? As I said, I really only care about HNL-DEN, so if that doesn't go through, how can I cancel an RPU request? I'd rather not waste an RPU on MNL-GUM, for example! Thanks again!
If you request the RPU online, it will apply to all flights. If you call, you can apply it to an individual segment, and, if it clears in advance, you can call back and ask for it to be extended to include all segments.

Similarly, you can cancel an RPU before your flight by calling UA.