FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do I have to clear security in the uk when I'm connecting?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:51 am
flyerkit

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Upupintheair
In AMS it is mixed as well however it is structured in a way that passengers arriving from a unsecure airport (i.e. Less secure than AMS) need to pass through additional security. All other passengers can connect without having to go through security again. I wish LHR would do this to, saves so much hassle..
Campbelltown Airport (Loganair) no longer has security screening. Passengers make an oral declaration that they don't have any forbidden items, and then board. Saves money on scanners etc.

On arrival at Glasgow, which normally DOES allow mixing of arrivals from "clean" airports, the Campbelltown PAX are routed directly to Landside, so have to pass security screening before boarding a connection.

As always, there is a balance between security and convenience.

AMS has recently centralized security screening, and at the same time designated some "clean" airports in EU and US where inbound passengers are deemed low risk - so they don't get screened using scanners etc. This slightly increases the risk of a security breach, but reduces costs and allows resources to be spent on other countermeasures instead (or keeps charges down!).