FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:26 am
GoPhils

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134
The simple way is to just ask everyone on the plane to submit a bid for the lowest price they'll get off the plane for. The CEO who needs to close a $10 million business deal? He'll probably bid $10 million, at least. A doctor who needs to see patients? His bid is probably over $1 million as well. But the retired person coming back from a trip overseas? The college student who is flying to see a friend? Maybe she has a nice dinner scheduled but figures that she'd be happy if the airline simply paid for her trip, and bids $1000, knowing full well that if she bids too high, someone else could bid lower and she'd get nothing. Point is, everyone has a price that he or she will get off the plane for, and someone's price will be lowest. So pick the low bidder and be done with it.
I know it was mentioned earlier that Delta does this, but how do they account for the time of the delay? That UA was only offering $800 in vouchers for a 22 hour delay and no help to get the person home via car which shouldn't have been that difficult is ridiculous.

Also not sure if it was discussed (which I'm sure it was), has Oscar's statement saying $1000 was offered been criticized when it was only $800 in vouchers?

At first I was shocked that no one would take the offer since it would have been relatively easy to just drive, but because it was vouchers I can see why no one took it because nothing to cover a rental car was being offered. Honestly I bet $600 or so in cash likely would have done it. Probably $200 or so for a one-way car rental (including gas) and you've got $400 in your pocket for being home 2-3 hours later. There had to be people on the plane that had that type of flexibility.