FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:09 pm
Jboucsei

Originally Posted by madiha90
Hey i'm ive been following this thread for a few days and still kinda confused as to how these deals work. Where do I find the Greece deal you are talking about?
Hallo madiha90. I am quite new myself and canīt speak for the community, however in my experience so far thereīs a lot of people in this thread who have been doing FDing for a many years, making this quite a complex craft. As in most crafts youīre supposed to start from scratch and learn by doing the nasty and annoying work, in this case researching and reading (a lot). Nobody will give you any freebes - after all none were handed any when they were apprentices [at least thatīs the general narrative - I doubt it].
That has two reasons: If FDing was easy, everyone and their mom would do it - making it something with an impact to Airlines and making the airlines change the rules. Secondly, it wonīt really help you if people told you dumps, but you donīt know the how. You might be able to use some tricked fare somebody told you, but you wouldnīt be able to find your own ones and wonīt be able to contribute. However, if you ask people specific questions, most will be very helpful.

If I had to start again I would do it with the following approach:
Find out what the general idea behind FDing is. Google is your friend, thereīs good stuff on milepoint.com: What are Fares, when can a fare be dumped?
Then learn about the most important constructions, id est 1x and 3x. Thereīs much more out there, but for starters keep it simple. Try to figure out what would make a good 3x. Which criteria would maximize saving?
Learn how to use matrix.itasoftware.com.
With this background-knowledge and read this thread, maybe the first and last 100 pages. Take notes on ideas and possible dumps.

That should get you started. As a warning: this is very time consuming and very addictive. Generally speaking it is more efficient earning money during the time you would be spending here and just buy the full fare. You decide. Good luck and welcome!

Last edited by Jboucsei; Apr 16, 2017 at 5:21 pm