FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First cabin 'closed off' to MAD but then hen party 'upgraded' into it on board
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:15 pm
Schwann

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by navylad
Firstly, many thanks OP for posting; it has certainly led to a lively discussion which made for an interesting read after a long day working in A&E.

I would also apologies that you feel hard-done by by the decision to move the hen-party to F; although thankfully you’ve said that wasn’t an issue. However, since you have included the fact that they were a hen party in your post, I would like to emphasise we have no reason to discount that the Captain made the decision and indeed, as you admit, you don’t know the circumstances of the hen party. Your own suggestion that one could be terminal ill, others suggestion that one could have a higher states than you or including a traveller with higher status than you, all of which are indeed possible

However, I’m sorry if you felt that the CSM was rude to you. It may of course, not been within the CSMs power to move you it the captain had already made the call to only allow the hen party into F for example. I am, however, glad, that the CSM managed to apologies to you later in the flight, the ability to recognise when an apology is required, particularly when one has been at fault in any way. It is admirable.

Had you been travelling for a special occasion, it might be worth discretely letting the CC know, they may or may not be in a position to make your event even more special. Indeed, if you are traveling for a special occasion, may I recommend letting your hotel know; I've certainly received unexpected gifts and upgrades when those I've been travelling with have let the hotel know of my special occasion.

I can empathise with asking again when you have seen F was opened up to someone else, but from experience may I recommend that you do this without expectation to receive the answer you are looking for to avoid disappointment and it would have been better to also do this discretely (by your own admission the discussion was witnessed by other passengers so I assuming this was not the case).

Out of pure curiosity, may I enquire whether you would have questioned the decision had the same number of pax not connected as a hen group had been moved into F but not you (this is purely for interest and totally hypothetical I appreciate).

I do hope that the hen party had a good time experiencing First and hope you managed to get an opportunity to congratulate the Bride.

The OP has not stated that he feels more entitled than others to be moved to the First cabin, but to those who feel that this should be the case, despite my own status, I fully appreciate the reasons may be of a commercial nature and whilst awarding loyal pax is important, so it attracting other pax.

I’m glad you have taken the criticism well, you probably have coped better than I would in your shoes.

I hope you and your family have great time in Madrid, and who knows, you may be lucky on your next flight, I’m sure you willl be at some point.

Are you the one who writes the copy and paste replies from BA customer services?