FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:28 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dvlsadvc8
The unfortunate outcome for passenger Dao was the result of his defiance toward "law enforcement" on scene.
Sometimes defiance in the face of police brutality is, unfortunately, necessary to advance a greater good. At a minimum, I expect his resistance to have some impact on an incredibly toxic culture at United Airlines. The letter from the Chairman of the Board took a strikingly different tone from that of the CEO, leading me to believe that maybe the Board will attempt to make a significant change - starting a the top. That, in and of itself, would be a baby step forward.

But hopefully, public anger will have an impact on Congress and we'll get some level of increased passenger protections in the future. I don't expect them to seriously change how the U.S. airline cartel does business, but some level of humane customer service related rules could get added. (Start with some degree of meaningful IDB compensation with minimum amounts will above where they are today.)

Dao himself can choose to take a settlement and disappear. No one would blame him if he does that. Or he could fight this thing all the way to a long, messy, public trial - and that might actually end up in our (the traveling public) favor.