FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]
View Single Post
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:07 pm
FleyeSkyHigh

Originally Posted by FleyeSkyHigh
A couple questions. It's been three years for me since I received an IHG signup bonus. I have Ambassador and Spire Elite.

1. Can I downgrade to the no-fee IHG Card and then apply for a new IHG Rewards card (with fee) to get the bonus?

2. If I have to cancel all together how long should I wait to apply for new card?

Thanks!
To my fellow IHG card churners I am going to answer my own questions. I confirmed with Chase customer service and new card applications groups that I would be unable to downgrade to the no-fee IHG card and then apply for a new IHG Rewards card...to Chase they are basically the same product. I think the same is true for the United no-fee card (which is subject to 5/24 so not as easily churnable).

For those with IHG elite status and in search of how long you must wait to be offered the 80K signup bonus after cancelling....for me it took 9 calendar days after cancelling the card with Chase for the IHG.COM to realize I was longer a IHG credit card holder. On the 9th day after cancelling I was offered my the IHG elite member 80K + 5K AU sign up bonus simply be logging in to Chase (I was not offered the $50 SC). Couldn't ever find a way to get 80K + 5K + $50 SC...dummy booking only yielded a 50K + 5K + $100 SC.

Hope this helps.