FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:35 am
Rdenney

Programs: Air: UA (Gold), AA, WN, DL; Hotel: Hilton (Diamond), plus all the rest
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Or indeed "I might be fired if I don't show up". I mean, he didn't even book a seat on the last flight of the day (where one could at least contend he was playing with fire) and there's only so much slack you can expect someone to build into their travel plans or the whole point of flying soon gets lost and you might as well relax on a train ride instead.
Also, we need to remember that this was the last leg of an extended trip. If I understood what he was saying in the video of his conversation with the DOA people, he had been flying for 24 hours, and I recall it being reported that he was flying from China, through LAX. He would have paid a higher price for his ticket, and would be completely unaware of the price the United system assigned only to that leg.

One reason that this happens much more rarely in Europe is that in Europe there is a train alternative. There is not in most cases in the US, which points even more to the CofC being a contract of adhesion.

When I took my present job, I was told that any restriction on my ability to 1.) qualify for an agency credit card, or 2.) travel would threaten my employment. Thus, I would have caved, not being able to survive being banned by United. United and other domestic airlines act too much like they are the only travel choice. This is a choice they make, even if the traveler doesn't have realistic alternatives.