FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Design the new process to solve IVDB (a constructive, positive thread)
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:19 pm
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ellenyc
To me, that is the answer. And I can't see those VDBs ever routinely hitting outlandish amounts, as someone flying on a cheap ticket facing a minimal delay will have a low reserve price. It will only be in rare instances that the reserve price has to go above $1500 or so, an amount that gets paid now in certain cases.
There will almost always be someone on any flight:
1. For whom VDB compensation being offered is equal to 2 weeks' pay or more (teens, college students, etc)
2. Who is retired and doesn't have to be at their destination immediately (flexible schedule)
3. Who is mileage running and WANTS to get kicked off so that he/she can use the money to do more mileage runs

Those people would submit low bids, and would be first to get booted from the plane. If not, many people going on vacation would gladly take $2000-$5000 if it gets that high. That money could pay for many nice dinners, some extra hotel nights, etc.

I volunteered for VDB multiple times last year because I fell into category (3). I never actually got selected but I was one of the first people to talk to the GA to volunteer to get booted in exchange for money.